Select Series X300 › X354 Ride-on Mower
- Accel Deep Deck for excellent cut quality
- V-twin air-cooled engine with iTorque Power System
- Four-wheel steering for superior manoeuvrability
- 4 year/300 hour limited warranty
(Includes GST & pre-delivery ex branch. On-site delivery additional.)
Engine is smooth-running and reliable V-twin air-cooled design
The mower is powered by a John Deere iTorque™ power system, a combination of engine features and an exclusive hood design that provide superior lugging ability, even cooling, and durability.
A 19-hp (14-kW) V-twin engine provides plenty of power and torque to handle tough mulching, mowing, and bagging conditions.
Key engine features include:
- 19 hp (14 kW)
- V-twin air-cooled design that provides smooth, quiet power
- Quality features include:
- Cast-iron cylinder liners
- Overhead valves
- Full-pressure lubrication
- Replaceable oil filter
- Dual-stage air cleaner V-twin design:
- Excellent power and performance
- Easy starts
- Smooth operation
A flywheel alternator provides plenty of capacity to quickly recharge the battery and power electrical equipment, such as lights or a sprayer:
- 15-amp capacity
- Regulated to keep the battery at full charge without risk of overcharging
Frame is reliable heavy-duty welded steel
The frame is made of heavy formed and welded steel, reinforced in critical areas for even greater strength:
- The frame is formed from 12-gauge, 0.105-in. (2.66-mm) thick material for long life.
- Standard front bumper and hitch plate are formed from 9-gauge, 0.15-in. (3.8-mm) steel and complete the frame assembly.
- Rear hitch plate can support two 42-lb (19-kg) Quik-Tatch weights.
- Weight bracket is built into the frame of two-wheel-steer models.
- Four-wheel-steer models require the optional weight bracket.
Four-wheel steer gives superior manoeuvrability and trimming ability
NOTE: In the schematic above, the solid line refers to a four-wheel steer tractor, and the hashed line refers to a two-wheel steer tractor.
Four-wheel steering provides very significant manoeuvrability and trimming advantages over that of two-wheel-steering-equipped tractors.
For example, with the X384 Select Series™ Tractor equipped with a 48-in. (122-cm) Accel Deep™ Mower (the following numbers correspond to the schematic above):
- Uncut circle radius is reduced from 21 in. (53 cm) for a two-wheel steer X380 to only 9 in. (23 cm), eliminating or greatly reducing the need to back up when trimming around trees, shrubs, etc.
- Interference from the mower and tractor wheels is eliminated because they are several inches away from the object being trimmed around.
- Outside turning circle is reduced, reducing the time spent turning and increasing mowing efficiency.
Also, trimming inside curves around flower beds or other landscaping can be done more completely with a 4-wheel steer tractor.
Designed For Tight Turns
The four-wheel steering system is designed for tight turns, leading to greater mowing efficiency:
- Caster, camber, and kingpin angles are optimised to reduce effort, especially when going from straight ahead into a turn.
- Steering geometry has been designed with the use of 3-D modelling, so all four tires are working together.
- Sealed ball bearings are used on the torque shaft and the rear spindles to reduce friction.
- Small scrub radius, less than 1 in. (2.5 cm) in the rear, reduces scuffing and bump-steer.
Designed For Easy Steering
Sealed ball bearings are used at critical all-wheel-steer joints for reduced friction, longer life, and less maintenance.
Easy steering is important for an enjoyable mowing experience:
- Larger, 14-in. (35.6-cm) diameter steering wheel gives improved leverage for easier turns.
- Larger sector gear gives improved (higher) steering ratio.
- A higher ratio equals lower steering effort.
- Dual-drag links help equalise steering loads and greatly reduce steering error.
- Ball-joints on both ends of the steering tie rods reduce wear to maintain accurate steering.
- Long steering arms improve the mechanical advantage of the steering system through the full range of motion.
- The steering shaft rotates on a sealed ball bearing at its lower end, near the pinion gear, to reduce steering effort and provide a smooth feel for the life of the tractor.
- The sector gear pivots on a shaft rather than a bushing to ensure proper gear mesh and eliminate binding.
- Pivoting of the upper and lower ends of the sector gear shaft on sealed ball bearings reduces steering effort and provides a smooth feel for the life of the tractor.
- Greaseable front steering spindles reduce friction and improve wear over time.
Exact Adjust ports and on-board deck-leveling tools make precise deck adjustments easy
A mower deck must be level side-to-side and properly adjusted front-to-rear to give the best cutting performance. A removable on-board deck-levelling gauge and a hex-key tool are provided to make adjustment easy. They are securely stored under the mower seat.
Exact Adjust levelling ports are provided on each side of the operator platform above the mower-level adjusting bolts. With the hex-shaped tool, they provide convenient access to allow quick and easy adjustment of the mower for the best-cut quality of cut.
The Exact Adjust feature is standard on all Select Series™ X300 and X500 mowers:
- There is no need to reach under the fender deck while making the mower-level adjustment.
- On-board deck-levelling gauge, Exact Adjust ports, and the hex tool work together.
- Level the mower deck side to side
- Set the correct amount of rake (front-to-back deck orientation)
- Calibrate the cutting height to the cut-height adjusting knob setting
- Exact Adjust simplifies levelling the mower deck if equipped with a Power-Flow™ blower.
- To give the best cut, mower level should be adjusted if alternately mowing with and without blower installed. The Exact Adjust feature makes this easy.
Consult the operator's manual for the correct adjusting procedures for each mower model. Basic adjusting steps to properly level the mower deck include:
- Park the mower on a level surface.
- Inflate tires to the correct pressure.
- Consult the label for the cutting-height knob that is located on the console of the machine. This label shows deck-levelling position and location of deck-levelling adjustment points.
- Set mower cutting-height knob to the correct deck-levelling position.
- For X300 models, use position 2.75
- For all other models, use position 2.5
- Adjust mower wheels as necessary so they do not contact the ground surface.
- Remove the onboard deck-levelling gauge that is located under the seat.
- Using the Exact Adjust ports and tool, adjust mower deck side-to-side level so the deck-levelling gauge just slips under the left and right lower deck rim at the designated adjustment points. The location of adjustment points will vary slightly between decks.
- Left- and right-rear adjustment points are under the deck rim near the rear mower wheels, if equipped.
- Adjust mower deck front-to-back level, if necessary.
- Loosen rear nuts equally on each side of front lift rod.
- Turn front nut equally on each side clockwise to raise front of mower or counter-clockwise to lower it until gauge just slips under the front adjustment point.
- Tighten rear nuts after adjustment is complete.
- Return the gauge to its storage position.
NOTE: The adjusting tool supplied with the mower is an 8-mm ball-hex key, part number M162737. The rounded end allows for some misalignment with the bolt as the deck is adjusted.
Modern styling with functional design enhances appearance and performance
Smooth, rounded contours present a modern, styled appearance:
- Hood styling incorporates efficient full-length air-intake louvres on each side, rather than on the top.
- Cooler engine operation
- Lower operator station sound levels
- Hot air is vented out the front grille, away from the operator.
- Molded-in-color hood material is very durable.
- Excellent impact strength
- Resists weathering
- Will not rust or dent
- Distinctive grille and large, one-piece fender deck complete the styling package.
The 42-in 107-cm Accel Deeptrade 42A Mower Deck cuts clean and is versatile
The 42-in. (107-cm) Accel Deep Mower Deck is a stamped-steel, deep, flat-top design that delivers excellent cut quality, productivity, cleanliness, durability, and versatility. Optimal performance and dispersion of clippings is provided, even at faster mowing speeds:
- 4.5-in. (11.4-cm) depth throughout the entire deck shell for optimum mowing, mulching, and bagging performance
- Optional MulchControl™ attachment provides superior mulching performance and versatility.
- Stamped-steel design eliminates sharp edges and corners where material can build up and diminish mowing performance
- Mower deck is suspended from the vehicle for a smooth and level cut
- Adjustable mower wheels, positioned just above ground level, help prevent scalping.
Excellent Cut Quality
Deep mower-deck stamping gives excellent cut quality. It allows the cut and suspended material room to exit the deck without getting recut:
- Reducing the amount of recutting enables more power to be used to cut incoming grass, which greatly improves mower capacity.
- Helps maintain excellent cut quality at faster mowing speeds
- Clean flow of material out of discharge area prevents cut material from interfering with cutting the incoming grass, making it possible for the blades to cut incoming material cleanly.
- Even in mulching mode, cut evenness is improved compared to other designs because the additional depth allows for continuous circulation, optimal recutting, and an even distribution of clippings.
Productivity - Getting The Job Done Fast
Deep mower-deck stamping gives high productivity, which gets the job done fast. It allows the cut and suspended material room to exit the deck quickly, reducing the amount of re-cutting so more power is available to process incoming grass:
- Greatly improves mowers capacity to maintain excellent mowing performance in difficult mowing conditions and at higher speeds
Large discharge opening is both high and wide to handle more material:
- Gives a smooth, even discharge of clippings at all mowing speeds
- Reduces the chance of plugging, especially important when operating in wet, thick, or dense grass and when bagging
- Cut-and-throw chute has a large, optimised inlet which aids in collecting material by using airflow from the large deck opening
The flat-top shape of the deck stamping is optimal for keeping itself and the operator clean:
- There are few places to catch and hold material on top and underneath the deck.
- Top of deck stays cleaner, reducing time and effort needed for cleaning and service
- Underside of deck is self-cleaning to maintain optimum performance without build-up of material to interfere with the flow of air and clippings
- Less need to clean and remove build-up of material from underside deck
- The depth of the Accel Deep mower deck minimises the amount of material that escapes from the front of the deck
- Limited amount of material to drift onto the operator and mower deck
- Even for material discharged out the chute, less re-cutting results in larger pieces that are less likely to end up on the operator
- Mulching prevents the discharge of material completely
- Versatility of MulchControl attachment makes mulching a practical solution for most mowing situations
Cleaning a mower deck, both top and bottom, is one of the most frequent maintenance activities:
- The flat-top design reduces places for material to build up and makes material that does collect easy to remove.
Superior Durability Is Designed In
The 42A Mower Deck has strong spindle pockets to keep the blades aligned, even after years of tough service:
- Ribs in the deck shell add strength where it is needed.
- The 42A has a 16 percent heavier overall weight than the Edge™ Xtra 42-in. (107-cm) mower deck used on previous machines.
Mower wheels are double-captured:
- Provides greater strength and durability for longer, trouble-free life.
- Single-bolt adjustment makes setting wheels to the correct height for the cutting height quick and easy.
Low-tension belt-drive design reduces the side load on engine lower bearings and mower deck bearings for longer life.
The 48A Mower Deck features a 5/8-in. (16-mm) diameter solid-steel rod side bumper that provides extra strength and protection.
Dual-stage E-coat and powder-paint coatings provide extra protection from rust.
- The MulchControl handle is located on top of the mower deck and used to open and close the discharge baffle.
- The operator is required to get off of the machine in order to engage or disengage mulch mode.
- Changing from mulching to side discharge or vice versa takes only a few seconds.
MulchControl is well-suited to the following mowing situations:
- Usually mulch, but side discharge when grass gets too long
- Usually side-discharge, but would like to be able to close the chute to control clippings
- Always mulch a main lawn, but often side discharge secondary lawns
- Bag clippings, but want to go farther before emptying bags
MulchControl puts the operator in control of the clippings. The operator can have all the benefits of mulching, with the ability to easily change to side discharge or bagging when needed.
A wash port is provided to make cleaning the underside of the mower deck easy.
Hose connector is included with the mower deck.
Versatility - Easy To Change Between Side Discharge, Mulch, And Bagging Modes
The 42A Mower is designed for maximum versatility, providing the greatest ease in changing from one mower discharge mode to another:
- The mowers cut-and-throw design allows bagging with just the addition of the hopper and chute, once the special bagging blades have been installed.
- The 42A cut-and-throw bagger chute is easy to install, with just one, easy to reach, front-side bungee cord to attach.
- The bagging blades can be used for side discharging also.
- With the optional MulchControl attachment installed (along with the special mulching blades), changing from side-discharge to mulching or vice versa is done with the simple flip of a lever.
The MulchControl attachment for the 42A Mower Deck makes mulching more practical for many mowing situations because it not only does an excellent job of mulching but it also allows the mower to be easily converted for times when it is more desirable to side discharge or collect the lawn material. Advantages of mulching grass clippings include:
- A beautiful looking lawn
- Grass clippings not blown onto the operator, driveways, or flower beds
- Less fertiliser use
- Elimination of the effort needed to dispose of clippings
How MulchControl Works
MulchControl is an innovative, simple design that is easy to use and maintain:
- The MulchControl attachment includes baffles to control the flow of material under the deck.
- The left mower blade area is completely enclosed and optimised for mulching, thus will mulch even when the mower is in the side-discharge mode.
- Baffles around the right blade are optimised for mulching when the discharge baffle is closed.
While in the side-discharge mode, MulchControl will still mulch about one-third of the material. Therefore, the side-discharge mode is essentially a partial-mulch mode. This can be an advantage when side discharging or bagging, as it helps to reduce the amount of material being discharged. Other times this could work as a disadvantage:
- When cutting strong southern grasses, such as Zoysia and Bermuda
- When cutting in wet, high-growth conditions, such as those found in the Pacific Northwest United States
- When optimum bagging and lawn clean-up is desired
† Prices include GST. John Deere delivery charge not included in above price and may vary by Vanderfield outlet. On-site delivery may be arranged at an additional cost. Accessories & options quoted and fitted on request at an additional cost. Photo may show optional equipment that is not included in the online price. Only in Australia and prices in Australian Dollars. Products, options and accessories may not be available in all regions. Product features subject to change. Please contact your local Vanderfield dealer for more detailed information.